Global pandemic. Racial injustice. Supercharged politics. It’s no wonder many educators struggle to address current events and issues related to diversity with their students. The need for culturally responsive teaching has never been greater. But where do we start? Who will support us along the way?
Here’s a resource that can help. Britannica Digital Learning’s Professional Learning Cohort: Culturally Responsive Instruction in a Blended Learning Environment is designed to support K-12 teachers, administrators, and curriculum leaders who want to bring more equity and inclusivity into their schools.
Why a PLC format?
Britannica Digital Learning’s professional learning cohort (PLC) provides a safe space for professional educators to study, collaborate, and engage in meaningful conversations around culturally responsive instruction (CRI) in a supportive community.
What will I learn?
Britannica’s PLC will help you:
- Create your own unique teaching approach that builds equitable and inclusive practices into your curriculum and classroom—one that is sustainable and applicable to a blended learning environment.
- Develop culturally responsive practices that meet the social and academic needs of your students.
- Build a classroom culture that fosters continuous learning and an appreciation of diverse cultures.
- Facilitate an environment that inspires meaningful discussions around current events and issues related to diversity.
How do I get started?
Once you register for the cohort, an education consultant will reach out to you. You may choose to begin your training sessions the 4th week of September, October, or November. Additionally, private cohorts are available for schools and districts that have 10 or more participants.
How does the course work?
You will meet with your PLC in four, one-hour virtual sessions over three months. Meetings will include a main session webinar, small group breakout sessions, and guided practice to help you try strategies in your own classroom. In addition, each session requires a few hours of independent reading and reflection.
Here’s a sample of the content that will be covered by the PLC:
- How to create a welcoming, affirming, and inclusive environment
- An examination of the current curriculum and teaching practices
- The role of high expectations and rigorous instruction
- Examples of inclusive curriculum and assessment
- Feedback on classroom implementation of new learning
What resources and tools will I receive?
Britannica Digital Learning’s PLC provides teachers with a variety of resources and tools, such as:
- Access to Britannica LaunchPacks with curriculum-aligned content sets (e.g., articles, images, videos, primary sources, and activities)
- Reflection guide
- Recorded sessions
- Culturally responsive lesson plans for K-12
- Additional support through discussions with regional and national PLC members
Will I receive professional learning credit?
Britannica’s PLC is an outcomes-based professional learning experience. Throughout the course, you will collect artifacts of learning that demonstrate your mastery of CRI. Upon completion, you receive a certificate indicating 6 hours of Professional Learning.
For more than 20 years, Britannica’s education consultants and curriculum experts have collaborated with schools under the belief that voices deserve to be heard, truth deserves to be discovered, and knowledge deserves to be shared.
Want to learn more?
Click the orange button to learn more about Britannica Digital Learning’s Professional Learning Cohort: Culturally Responsive Instruction in a Blended Learning Environment. Sign up now to gain the skills and knowledge you need to incorporate culturally responsive teaching into your classroom.